Thread: Better toys?

1. Better toys?

Not sure if this is the right section...

Fiona is a determined chewer of all the wrong things. She has rotating ropes and balls and appropriate toys but if she can get her mouth on something hard plastic to bite to sharp bits then, well, sharp plastic bits all over the lawn. She seems to be burying all her rawhide chews and after a real bone is cleaned of meat or marrow, she looses interest. What else would simulate the hard plastic crunch she seems to enjoy?

I should probably do a search on better ways to discourage digging too.

ALSO, she seems to especially enjoy the kids' Big Wheel. If it's upright she will put her paws on the seat and scooter herself around, it's adorable!!! Inevitably it steers itself into a corner or tips over and she will tug and tug at the handle to try to get it right. Sometimes she will simply drag the whole thing, on it's side, by the handle. They seem to be more durable the other crunchy plastic so I believe she is doing this because she enjoys dragging things. I've also deemed one of our 5 gallon buckets to be a dog toy because she loves to drag that around by the handle too. Now there is a sound that makes absolutely no sense if you don't know what's going on What other dragging toys are there? Maybe something less, I don't know, drum-like, possibly even heavier, she definitely enjoys a physical challenge!

Have you tried any of the Nylabone products? My dog chews them for hours everyday.

3. I think I did early on (I've only had her a couple months) and I've never seen it since. Ate it? Buried it? Either way, gone.

4. A lot of people recommend Goughnuts

LaCrosse balls. Smaller but very durable! Also the big wheel issue.... HILARIOUS and amazing! Sounds like she might like an egge or jolly egg. I don't think I've ever heard of a dog actually burying bones and toys, only seen it on TV LOL Sounds like you have quite the character!

TRIM YOUR DOGS NAILS BEFORE I BRING IT UP Land, right next to MD
    Images
    Please try to use the search bar at the top right hand of the forum... there are at the very least 4 threads of this topic. You'll find a bunch of good ideas!! Good luck

Goughnuts do really well here.

I have the egge and the jolly ball (all sizes) and my one dog absolutely loves 'em!

Seems like I saw on here where somebody gave their dog a small non radial tire to play with. If yours likes to drag maybe that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by FairFiona View Post
    Not sure if this is the right section...

Fiona is a determined chewer of all the wrong things. She has rotating ropes and balls and appropriate toys but if she can get her mouth on something hard plastic to bite to sharp bits then, well, sharp plastic bits all over the lawn. She seems to be burying all her rawhide chews and after a real bone is cleaned of meat or marrow, she looses interest. What else would simulate the hard plastic crunch she seems to enjoy?

I should probably do a search on better ways to discourage digging too.

ALSO, she seems to especially enjoy the kids' Big Wheel. If it's upright she will put her paws on the seat and scooter herself around, it's adorable!!! Inevitably it steers itself into a corner or tips over and she will tug and tug at the handle to try to get it right. Sometimes she will simply drag the whole thing, on it's side, by the handle. They seem to be more durable the other crunchy plastic so I believe she is doing this because she enjoys dragging things. I've also deemed one of our 5 gallon buckets to be a dog toy because she loves to drag that around by the handle too. Now there is a sound that makes absolutely no sense if you don't know what's going on What other dragging toys are there? Maybe something less, I don't know, drum-like, possibly even heavier, she definitely enjoys a physical challenge!
    Several empty plastic water bottles stuffed inside of a large an I mean large stuff animal.. I prefer a Zebra or lion.. HAHA.. Sew it up super well an enjoy!

10. Update: I've pretty much decided she's a garbage disposal that I have to keep feeding toys. I've given her a few different Nylabone toys that lasted a week each before she brought them to the patio, flipped them up in the air so they hit the ground hard until they broke in half and then was satisfied and went back to gnawing the bits.

I "gave" her a plastic watering can that she's chewed directly through a seemingly flat side.

Two heavy ropes are gone. She's eaten about a whole towel worth of "knots".

I don't understand how she still has teeth for all the beef knuckles she chews through.

Her current favorite is the cracked remains of a small water jug that she throws in the wading pool, waits until it fills up and sinks, pushes it around underwater, then runs it all around the yard with water pouring out.

She finally took interest in one of the stuffed animal chews because she also dropped that into the pool and she likes shaking it around while it's wet.... though there's stuffing floating all over in the pool now :rolleyes:

Once the pool is gone, I will try out the water bottles inside a muppet pelt.