Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Submissive dog who has terrible behavior problems! HELP!

I have a blue female pit named Muffin. I got her at 9 weeks old from a breeder who seemed very shady. He was open about the fact that her bloodlines were fighting lines and it seemed these puppies were going to go to the wrong people. When I went to get her, she was in a small bathroom in the back of a single wide trailer. (we are in TN) She and another puppy were in there with their mother. They were still nursing, but eating puppy food too. I had never heard of that. When they brought her out, she immediately peed on the floor. I thought she was just excited. I got her papers and she has old country bloodlines. She is dual registered...Am Staff with the AKC and Pit Bull Terrier with CKC. (I have two other pits, a 3 yr old male that I got from the pound and a 2yr old female that I got from a friend. I know NOTHING about bloodlines other then reading stuff online.) After seeing where she was living, I had to take her from these people. I would have taken both puppies, but the other one was sold. She is now 7 months and the sweetest dog in the world. She is excellent with my baby who is 8 months and plays with my neighbors kids (7 and 9) every afternoon. She sits, stays and lays down. But, here is the problem....she is terrified of everything. She is a puppy, so she has some chewing tendencies. It started with shoes, socks, baby toys, ect and has moved on to an OFFICE CHAIR!!!, digging up my landscaping, shredding couch cushions, and other major items. Yes, she is crate trained. Yes, I walk her 2 miles every day. They have a million kong toys, rawhides, tennis balls, ect and get plenty of attention and play time. She is excellent on the leash but will bark and growl at strangers (especially large, black men??) When she is doing a bad thing and I catch her, she immediately rolls on her back and pees EVERYWHERE. Like a fountain!!! I do not know how to discipline this dog! She knows she is doing something wrong, but cowars and cries so much, i dont know what to do. I discipline all of mine with a spray bottle with water in it and it works like a charm. I do not believe in spanking...especially not this dog! If I even raise my voice, she is peeing!! She will also tuck her tail and run to the back of her crate. She digs large holes in the back yard when they are left in there 'area'. (fenced enclosure..about 500 sq ft) When she hears us coming outside, she drops to the ground because she knows shes not supposed to dig. I was so worried with her bloodlines that she would be super aggressive, but its the total opposite! She is very good with my other pits as well as cats. She is a dog park regular. Does anyone have any advice for how to handle this dog? Is it possible that something that happened prior to us getting her (at 9wks) could have permanently damaged her? I love the dog, but Im tired of cleaning up pee!!

There is so much wrong with this I don't even know where to begin.

From the top:

1. You bought her from a 'knowingly shady' breeder.

2. You have no idea what her bloodlines are (not that it matters).

3. You bought this puppy from this breeder, aka, you supported his breeding program.

4. You $#@!umed that dog aggression would equate to human aggression. Even though this is not the case, it seems silly for you to purchase a dog with a temperament you thought it would come into that you did not want.

5. This dog has seemingly no formal training or mental stimulation on a regular, routine basis.

6. This dog is allowed to perform self-reinforcing activities (chewing and digging).

7. This dog is not damaged. You've done nothing with this dog that would make it act any different way. You ahve not clearly laid any boundaries. She has learned if she pees, she will not be punished and, as soon as you turn your back, she can go back to doing whatever she pleases.

8. She goes to the dog park. You said you 'know' that this dog came from 'dog fighting lines'? What, with that knowledge, makes you think it's ok for her to go gallivanting around with strange dogs, especially seeing as she holds in absolutely no regard and has no basic training.

:confused: There's so much wrong here. You need to start over, treat her like an 8 week old puppy, give this dog some REAL training and REAL mental stimulation, create REAL boundaries, and for the love of every dog out there, STOP taking her to the dog park. It's a $#@!ty place (literally) for any dog of any breed, especially a breed prone to dog aggression and reactivity.

This is not the dog's fault. She is not damaged. It's sickening that you think so. You got a dog from a $#@!ty breeder and just expected her to magically know what you expected of her without any training. :rolleyes:

Just want to point out a couple of things. All APBT lines come from fighting dogs as that was the original purpose of the breed. Dog aggression is normal and to be expected but DA is not the same as human aggression.

Because your dog is so submissive and fearful, I suggest you stop disciplining (negative) altogether and only use positive reinforcement. Ignore bad behavior and praise good behavior.

For this to work, you'll have to spend more time with her. When you're outside and notice her looking for something to dig up, call her to you and work on some training or play for a bit.

Make sure you calling her or walking into the room is ALWAYS a happy and positive experience. You think she act guilty because she knows she's not supposed to do something, well not exactly. She knows that when you come in the room, you're always mad and she's always in trouble.

You can't discipline her for something you didn't catch her doing. You know she chewed the chair but because you didn't catch her in the act, all she knows is that you = punishment/scary.

Look up NILIF. It's a serious life saver and will help an anxious dog gain confidence. I also suggest you look into an obedience cl$#@! to get her into. It'll help her confidence.

Keep in mind that she's at the fearful adolescent stage but with consistent and patient training, both of you can get through this. :)

Ps- Stop going to dog parks. All it take is one negative experience. I'm sure others will be along shortly to further explain and post links.

all the posts above are great, no need for repeating. however, now im curious about these "supposed" bloodlines given the dogs supposedly an amstaff. mind typing out the pedigree for us?
    Last edited by brindlexpitt; 04-23-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: i suck at spelling

5. Thank you _unorgininal for the response. I will try some of your suggestions. To Liliana Love...I have two others that I rescued as puppies. They are BOTH certified therapy dogs and are very well trained. Everyone who meets them comments on their behavior and laid back attitude. Im not an idiot. I saw these ppl in a parking lot selling puppies. Should I have just left her with these people, knowing that they were trying to attract other fighters?? I could not do that. So, I met them at their house and paid a whopping $50 bucks for her. If you could have left her, then thats your own moral issue. I posted on here looking for help. I do not care about her bloodlines...I was mentioning it because I was trying to be thorough. She is fixed and vaccinated. I never thought she would be human aggressive...Like I said, I have an 8month old baby. I thought she might have some dog aggression, so to combat that, I have taken her to the dog park to get socialized. I also practice a routine. Like I said, She walks with me 2 miles every day and plays with kids every day. She has rules and boundaries...I have not disciplined her when she pees because I dont want to scare her further! I came on here looking for help without the normal pit bull stereotypes. I never said she was damaged...i asked if something COULD HAVE damaged her as a puppy. I do not need you to tell me a list of what I am doing wrong...obviously I know Im doing something wrong but I dont know what....I am looking for help, not critism.

Just sounds like a nice, albiet soft, dog thats had poor socialization, not enough daily exercise, and nowhere near enough daily mental stimulation. You leave a understimulated dog unsupervised of course its going to have shenanigans.

Two miles of walking a day is a tiny drop in the bucket for most of these dogs. They are hardcore athletes. Perhaps adding some flirt pole or spring pole would be a good idea. One on one fetching and tugging sessions with you would be good as well.

Dogs are not human. They have little lemon brains, not big primate brains. They literally do not have the mental capacity to understand complex thought such as omg here they come I'm in trouble for digging! All the dog knows is that you are unpredictable and tend to fly off the handle very often for no discernable reason. They do not make the connection between what they were doing ten seconds to five hrs ago to what they are currently being punished for. They are plenty smart, but they don't think the way humans do.
    I would suggest reading Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson and The Other End of the Leash by Pat McConnell. Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor is good too.

You need to crate her when you cannot supervise, so that she is no longer set up to fail. I would also do a two week shutdown as a reboot and any out of crate time she's attached to you via leash. She can't dig or chew inappropriately if she's crated or attached to you. She's just doing natural dog behaviors that are very self-reinforcing because she has never had a good schedule that sets her up to feel confident, secure, and to learn good manners.

Having a multiple bully breed household I would seriously rethink the "million kong toys, rawhides, tennis balls, etc." that you say you've got lying around. This often becomes no bueno in multiple dog households as dogs reach maturity in any breed, but is particularly a terrible idea in a multiple dog bully breed household.
    Keep kongs and other high value items for solo crate time only. This will up the value of crate time for the dog, keep her mentally stimulated, and avoid possible fight triggers.

Two week shut down: http://www.squidoo.com/TwoWeekShutdown

Since she's so soft and sensitive to body language, I would suggest nabbing a copy of Turid Rugaas's book: http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=dtb527
    I have a very soft dog and while most dogs don't mind the rude (by canine standards) body language we heap ont hem every day, some dogs are just very sensitive and require that we learn polite dog body language. It just requires a different approach and the awesome thing is that its so interesting to learn about and see how it works. It'll help you rebuild your relationship with her and work toward building her confidence and turning her into a dog you love to live with. Basically with her body language and submissive peeing she is screaming please don't kill me. A little melodramatic of her, but hey some dogs are just big babies that way. You gotta learn to work with her and set her up so that she doesn't feel that she needs to appease your anger so desperately.

Working positively on furthering her basic ob skills and playing some relationship building games would go a long ways toward working her mind and building her confidence. She needs to be set up to win, thats the only way she's going to gain confidence in herself, learn to trust you again, and thereby overcome her submissive peeing.
    The games in the book Control Unleashed are great for working on building up confidence. But even just doing really positive one on one tug games or shaping her to interact with objects, like the 101 things to do with a box game: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/167 will go a long ways toward helping her confidence levels.

NILIF is always an important part of the puzzle: http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...NILIF-training

I would go back to square one with socialization. This is a great guide: http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...lizing-Puppies
    It may also be useful to seek out an experienced trainer who can help you with doing BAT setups. BAT works wonders for acclimating dogs to things that scare them, excite them, or frustrate them. If you wanted to just try and do it yourself, her book and the videos on her blog give very clear instructions on what to do and show how well it works. http://functionalrewards.com/
    This is all stuff I've used with my fearful dog, though she doesn't submissive pee she just shuts down. Its a long journey working with a fearful dog, but its well worth it because you learn so, so much about dog behavior and training.

Also make sure you douse any pee spots with enzymatic cleaner. I'm sure know that already, but with all the pee sometimes its easy to run out or forget. :)

I urge you to please strongly reconsider taking your dogs to the dog park. Dog parks are not a good idea for any breed, but particularly for the bully breeds. http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...-and-Dog-parks

Please also consider how you manage your dogs at home, since you have a multiple dog and cat household. These stickies are something you need to read. :)
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...-General-Myths
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...ble-APBT-owner
    Don't Leave Your Dogs Unsupervised!
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...lldog-To-Fight
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...ay-At-The-Park
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...and-Aggression
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...and-Aggression

7. Brindlex pitt...she is fixed...mentioning the bloodlines was to be thorough. I $#@!ume you are just trying to make me feel stupid, like the previous poster. If you send me your email, Id be happy to scan and email both AKC and CKC papers, so that you will feel better about her bloodlines. I do not breed my dogs or advocate breeding. I paid $50 for her (obviously she is worth more) to get her out of what I saw as a terrible situation. I also notified the local animal control with the information off of the paperwork. Again, I came on here looking for help. I did not have issues like this with my other two and I do not know what to do. If you have some advice, I would love to hear it!

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my thread. This is the best, most well thought out advice I have received. I have printed the page and will be ordering some books tonight! Thank you so much!!! Muffin thanks you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieM View Post
    Thank you _unorgininal for the response. I will try some of your suggestions. To Liliana Love...I have two others that I rescued as puppies. They are BOTH certified therapy dogs and are very well trained. Everyone who meets them comments on their behavior and laid back attitude. Im not an idiot. I saw these ppl in a parking lot selling puppies. Should I have just left her with these people, knowing that they were trying to attract other fighters?? I could not do that. So, I met them at their house and paid a whopping $50 bucks for her. If you could have left her, then thats your own moral issue. I posted on here looking for help. I do not care about her bloodlines...I was mentioning it because I was trying to be thorough. She is fixed and vaccinated. I never thought she would be human aggressive...Like I said, I have an 8month old baby. I thought she might have some dog aggression, so to combat that, I have taken her to the dog park to get socialized. I also practice a routine. Like I said, She walks with me 2 miles every day and plays with kids every day. She has rules and boundaries...I have not disciplined her when she pees because I dont want to scare her further! I came on here looking for help without the normal pit bull stereotypes. I never said she was damaged...i asked if something COULD HAVE damaged her as a puppy. I do not need you to tell me a list of what I am doing wrong...obviously I know Im doing something wrong but I dont know what....I am looking for help, not critism.
    1. My moral comp$#@! is not guided by society's bleeding hearts, but thank you for your concern.

2. I read this:
    I was so worried with her bloodlines that she would be super aggressive, but its the total opposite!
    and $#@!umed you meant you thought she would be human aggressive based on her 'dog fighting' lineage. Now I understand that you $#@!umed she would be dog aggressive based on her bloodlines but that you still, for some reason, take her to the dog park. That makes even less sense.

For the last time, DOG PARKS ARE NOT TO BE USED FOR SOCIALIZATION PURPOSES. If you don't understand why, you need to read this:
    Pit Bulls and Dog parks (Please note that this thread is a 'sticky' in the General Dog Discussions section of this forum, NOT in the debates section.)

3. Walking is not mental stimulation. What does a dog do when it walks? Move forward, sniff things, basically exist without actually thinking. 2 miles is nothing for most dogs. That's a warm up in this house. I know she's only 7 months and you don't want to work her too hard, but you can't expect a terrier to just be fine with a 2 mile walk every day. Playing with kids is great, but, also, what is the dog doing? It's just being goofy and doing the OPPOSITE of thinking critically.

4. You want advise? I'm giving it to you. When you learn what you did wrong, you simply have to do the opposite of that to do right. It's called constructive criticism.

5. You need to train this dog. Seriously. Train it. You say your other dogs are therapy dogs? Did you train them? Did you teach them to sit, to heel, to down, to stay, to not jump on people? Have you done any of that with this dog?

This dog is walking all over you because it knows it can. You say she's crate trained? How is she chewing things up if she's crate trained? Do you use the crate? That's kind of important if you don't want the dog to get into stuff and chew on things when you're not supervising.

This dog does not know right from wrong. This dog is BORED. This dog was 'rescued' (aka paid for) by a bleeding heart who thought he was 'saving the breed' when really this person is setting their dog up to fail and be another black mark on this breed. :rolleyes:

Just... I'm done. Your job now is to read each and every sticky on this forum, namely:
    Always Expect a Bulldog To Fight
    The APBT and Aggression
    DON'T Leave your Dogs Unsupervised
    Pit Bulls and Dog parks
    Degrees of exposure.. deciding safe places to take your
    Training and Socializing Puppies
    NILIF training

So, other than the 2mile walk, what training/exercise/enrichment does the dog get? If you leave her alone she WILL find something to do. Best way to cure that is to not leave her alone. She doesn't know that what she is doing is wrong.

And yes, I would have walked away from the sellers. You did NOT rescue this dog. You purchased her and by doing that you encouraged the "breeders" to just keep breeding. While it's sad that one puppy would have to suffer it's better than them continually producing more. I run into the same mentality in the reptile community. ANYTIME you pay for an animal you are not rescuing it, you are purchasing.

One other thing - "socializing" a dog is NOT done at the dog park where the only dogs you're going to find are usually untrained, unsupervised, and unknown on their health (let alone all the crap you can pick up from the park). Socializing has to do with your dog not acting like an idiot in the presence of other dogs or people. If you think that taking your bully breed to a dog park is going to stop dog aggression from occurring in the future then you need to do some more research into the breed. It's no different than putting your hunting dog into a chicken coop and thinking that will keep them from attacking them in the future. Genetics are what you work with and you can manage dog aggression (if it occurs) but you cannot train or raise it out of a dog, any dog.

BTW - you are getting help. Every item on Liliana's list is a valid one and should be addressed. To me, the most important one is that your dog appears to have no formal structure or training to her life. If she did she wouldn't have the time or energy to dig holes, chew inappropriate items, etc. Giving her some formal training could possibly help with her lack of confidence as she would succeed all the time instead of being set up for failure.

10. Thank you for all of the response. Yes, the first two know all of these commands: sit, stay, lay down, wait, come, speak, roll over, shake, leave it, go inside, go outside, go for a ride. They are great dogs. They have always gone to the dog park and I never thought it was a problem. Obviously, that will end now. I had them before I had the baby. I got Muffin after the baby, and that is the primary difference. Hindsight is 20/20...I should not have gotten her, but I have her now and want to do right by her. She is part of our family and I do not want to rehome her. I am looking into trainers in the middle TN area and will take all of your advice to heart. Thank you so much.

Soft dogs are a tough one. Sako is pretty soft, but it has gotten better with age. I don't think he's as soft as your dog (he's never peed when being disciplined), but he's pretty darn sensitive! When he was your dogs age, I was questioning whether or not I'd be able to show him (he shows conformation) because if I even popped the lead too hard, he hit the floor. He is from great bloodlines, was raised "right" (the same as I raised my other two dogs who are just fine), etc. He's just a sensitive guy and it took me awhile to really learn how to work with him. Despite this, he is a CGC & therapy dog (TDI).

EVERYTHING has to be positive. I very rarely use any type of negative reinforcement with him. As he's matured, he's gotten MUCH better, so don't give up hope yet ;) Honestly, I don't really do anything different with him than my other dogs.. if he gets in a mood where he wants to shut down and be a sissy, I ignore him.

It does sound like she'd benefit from more exercise. *I* don't walk my dogs 2mi. everyday (I don't walk them at all due to people in my neighborhood not liking leashes), so that's great that you're doing that! We go to a park near my house 3-4 times a week (weather depending) where they run easily 3-4mi. We may go out front and play fetch for 30min. on the other days, but that's basically the extent of their exercise.

The chewing up stuff is pretty normal for a dog her age.. to avoid that, crate her if she can't be watched, or leash her to you so that she can't go off and be "bad".

Oh - no more dog parks! Bad idea.

12. couple of things...

Mostly about the "situation" you found her in:

When I went to get her, she was in a small bathroom in the back of a single wide trailer. (we are in TN) She and another puppy were in there with their mother.
    Unless the bathroom was filthy, there's nothing wrong with confining a nursing mom and her litter to a bathroom. Miles better than outside in the dirt. They'd have to be confined SOMEwhere, else they would run amok in the house and destroy it with piss and $#@!.

They were still nursing, but eating puppy food too. I had never heard of that.
    Second...you really haven't heard of puppies nursing and eating solid at the same time? It's not exactly an instantaneous switch over or something. Puppies will nurse for as long as their mothers will let them...I've seen pups nurse bitches at 6+ months old. Weaning usually begins at 3 1/2 - 4 weeks of age, and until fully switched over to solid foods, will continue to nurse. Pups should be eating predominantly solid by 7-8 weeks, but it's certainly not hurting them to keep nursing if the bitch allows it.

When they brought her out, she immediately peed on the floor. I thought she was just excited.
    So...is this an example of why you thought she was in a bad situation? She may have been excited, she may have just had to pee. At her age, she certainly wasn't house broken at the time. I have no idea why this little factoid seemed worth mentioning, as it's certainly not a warning sign of abuse/neglect.

She is dual registered...Am Staff with the AKC and Pit Bull Terrier with CKC.
    CKC papers are essentially worthless, as the CKC will literally register ANYTHING (including mixed breeds) and habitually registers dogs with completely unknown breeding backgrounds. I could register any dog I just happened to pick up off the street as a purebred with them.

If te dog was registered through the AKC as an Amstaff...it's highly unlikely that her fighting lineage is anywhere near recent.

I got her papers and she has old country bloodlines.
    What "bloodlines" are you speaking of?

He was open about the fact that her bloodlines were fighting lines and it seemed these puppies were going to go to the wrong people.
    Like someone just mentioned ALL pit bulls/ Amstaffs are descended from fighting lines. It doesn't matter what type of dog owner you are, if you are interested in your dog's lines, those "fighting" lines are the ones that are sought after, not because people want to fight their dogs, but because they are simply good strains of dogs.

ALL dog breeders will speak highly of their dogs lines. Unless this breeder was speaking solely in terms of pit matches, and how many wins the dogs in the pup's ped. had, then there's no reason to $#@!ume the breeder intended the dogs for fighting.

Was that the only reason you $#@!umed the breeder intended the pups go to dog fighters?

After seeing where she was living, I had to take her from these people.
    Was there anything other than the fact that they were in a bathroom that makes you think these pups were poorly cared for? Were they clean/healthy? Just for the record, a messy home, or a home in a poor area do not equate animal abuse/neglect. Note I said MESSY, as in cluttered or unkempt, not filthy, as in urine and feces everywhere. Although a little bit is to be expected with puppies, there is a difference between acceptable mess that hasn't been cleaned up in the last hour or so, and filth that has accumulated over a long period of time.

But, here is the problem....she is terrified of everything.
    Has she ALWAYS been terrified of everything? Or is this a behavior that has recently surfaced? Dogs sometimes go through one to three "fear stages" during their adolescence, and yours is RIGHT at the age for one to be showing up. Google "fear stages in puppies" to learn more. It's pretty much perfectly normal but if handled incorrectly, can absolutely ruin a dog for life.

I was so worried with her bloodlines that she would be super aggressive, but its the total opposite! She is very good with my other pits as well as cats. She is a dog park regular.
    Regardless of bloodline, any bully breed can become dog aggressive at some point in their lives. It is NORMAL for pit bull puppies to be outgoing and super dog friendly, even those that may later become entirely intolerant of other dogs. This is a VERY common mistake owners make in $#@!uming their dog friendly puppy will remain dog friendly for life. MOST pit bulls that will become dog aggressive to any extant don't begin to show that aggression until between 12-18 months of age, some don't "turn on" till 1-2 years. Usually if they haven't "turned on" by three, they're considered "cold" (non dog aggressive) though 5 years is a better determining age. That's not to say some don't start earlier, 6 months is fairly common, and some pups start to fight as soon as they can crawl.

Is it possible that something that happened prior to us getting her (at 9wks) could have permanently damaged her?
    Anything's possible...but from what you describe it's highly unlikely. It sounds like you haven't raised a pup before (or at least not many). Everything you are describing seems pretty normal. Some pits can be pretty sensitive to punishment/correction. Do some research on opperrent conditioning and working with "fearful" dogs for tips on dealing with these issues you describe.

Everyone gave great advice.

I just wanted to add, she's at the right at for a fear stage, which is pretty normal.

Developmental Stages

Lots of good advice already given.

I would enroll in her in a good obedience cl$#@!. Sounds to me she needs something to do and dogs like her tend to benefit from more structure. If she does well at obedience maybe move on to agility. It will help her build confidence and help curb the destructive behavior by giving her something to do.

Brindlex pitt...she is fixed...mentioning the bloodlines was to be thorough. I $#@!ume you are just trying to make me feel stupid, like the previous poster. If you send me your email, Id be happy to scan and email both AKC and CKC papers, so that you will feel better about her bloodlines. I do not breed my dogs or advocate breeding. I paid $50 for her (obviously she is worth more) to get her out of what I saw as a terrible situation. I also notified the local animal control with the information off of the paperwork. Again, I came on here looking for help. I did not have issues like this with my other two and I do not know what to do. If you have some advice, I would love to hear it!

actually as i said, i thought the above advice was very helpful, and i saw no need to repeat said advice. I was just curious of the names in the paperwork, since they had claimed such things and your dogs being registered through AKC. You dont need to scan them, just send me a PM with the names of the dogs in the paperwork, as i said im just a curious person.. lol.

I also notified the local animal control with the information off of the paperwork.
    Wait, you did WHAT!? That's the most unbelievable thing I have ever heard. I'm in shock, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    Wait, you did WHAT!? That's the most unbelievable thing I have ever heard. I'm in shock, honestly.
    I called AC on the people I got Piper from.. granted, they told me they adopted her mom FROM AC, so I felt AC should know that one of their adopted dogs was now a puppy machine.

Quote Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
    I called AC on the people I got Piper from.. granted, they told me they adopted her mom FROM AC, so I felt AC should know that one of their adopted dogs was now a puppy machine.
    So far, I've seen no information of abuse or neglect on the part of the people selling these dogs.

19. Poor puppy. She doesn't know what she's doing is wrong. She sounds overly stressed and nervous, probably because she has no idea what she SHOULD be doing and everything she does gets her in trouble.

You need to get her in obedience school immediately. This will build her confidence and teach her what she IS supposed to be doing. Training is for both of you - to learn a common language for communication.

2 miles a day isn't very much walking, either. THat's like 40 minutes, tops. I think she probably needs more exercise and mental stimulation.

And definitely do Nothing in Life is Free. It teaches her the appropriate behaviors to get what she wants. Don't leave toys laying around - make her earn them.

20. You've already gotten tons of advice. All I have to add is, GOOD for you for asking for help, & not just giving up! Good luck with her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast