Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question Puppy with big belly? Bloated?

Hey guys, i just got a 4 month old A. Bully, And when she sits her belly touches the floor. The guy who i gotten her from said she has a big belly because he just fed her. (He's not a BYB, he feeds grain-free, high quality dog food)Is this normal for American bullies? Thanks

Images
    it could be many things, has the pup seen a vet?

Do you have a picture? That'd help!

Images
    x2 on pictures and a vet visit.

Why does the type of food someone feeds make them not a BYB?

Puppy could have worms or be overweight or have any number of other issues going on.

5. Wasn't saying that food quality doesnt make them a BYB. Just saying he takes good care of his puppies. UPDATE: Her belly is getting smaller and not so 'hard' -- Do dogs have belly buttons? Theres like a 'outtie' belly button that is on her belly. it was hard, now smaller and softer

pic:

iphone is blurry sorry
    Last edited by pitbullboy2011; 04-21-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Has she been dewormed? That'd be the first thing I'd have done.

That could be a hernia. Your best bet is to get her to a vet to have a full check up done.

Images
    Do you have a pic of her standing? It might just be that she's laying down that what ever that is, it doesn't look healthy or good. I'd get her to the vet.

Just because a breeder cares about the pups doesn't mean he's not a BYB. I know BYBs that care very much for their puppies and where the puppies go but it doesn't make them any less of a BYB.

Quote Originally Posted by _unoriginal View Post
    Do you have a pic of her standing? It might just be that she's laying down that what ever that is, it doesn't look healthy or good. I'd get her to the vet.

I very heartily second this - it does NOT look right.

It sounds like she has an umbilical hernia, as well.

A vet visit is definitely in order (and I don't say that very often).

9. Quote Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
    Has she been dewormed? That'd be the first thing I'd have done.

That could be a hernia. Your best bet is to get her to a vet to have a full check up done.
    No she has not been dewormed. I just got her like 3 hours ago, Gave her a bath, ear cleaner, food, water. But i will bring her to a Vet tomarrow if possible.

And no sorry i dont have a standing pic. She's sleeping atm and i dont want to wake her. Best i have:

Yes that "looks" like a umbilical hernia. They can be fixed at spay time. But I'm not a vet(I don't think anyone here is) and you can't really tell health stuff from a pic. The first pic, the laying down one, her lower abdomen looks odd. See a vet as soon as possible. Take a fresh fecal sample with you too.

Good Luck.

She looks pretty darn bloated! That could be from over feeding, could also be from a heavy worm load. Get a fecal done at the vet and you'll find out ;)

12. Quote Originally Posted by MsAcer View Post
    Yes that "looks" like a umbilical hernia. They can be fixed at spay time. But I'm not a vet(I don't think anyone here is) and you can't really tell health stuff from a pic. The first pic, the laying down one, her lower abdomen looks odd. See a vet as soon as possible. Take a fresh fecal sample with you too.

Good Luck.
    Do you mean the 'line' above her belly? Its just the way her fur goes, the other way

13. That looks pretty strange.... hernia and worms is the best guess. Vet appointment time!

14. First, your puppy needs to go to the vet. Looking at those photos, don't be too shocked if you have to cough up several hundred dollars for hernia surgery.

Second, the type of food a breeder feeds is NOT indicative of the type of breeder they are. Yes, good breeders typically feed quality, but feeding quality food doesn't MAKE them a good breeder; Does this breeder know the health issues in the line...there are MANY in American Bullies...and do they extensively test and xray accordingly? Does this breeder know anything about proper structure and, even though they're breeding Bullies, intentionally* attempt to produce dogs without some of the more extreme structural issues being perpetuated (*Meaning, for example, that they don't manage to avoid breeding deformed dogs only because they can't afford the stud fees on the dogs that produce them)? Did the breeder supply you with any type of legitimate contract and health warranty on their puppies that actually offers protection for the dog and buyer, and options to resolve issues with the dog outside of the seemingly standard "after 72 hours, if the dog doesn't die it's no longer my problem, and even if the dog does die I'm going to make it impossible to get anything out of me, sucker" agreement? If the answer to any of these questions is "NO," then the breeder is a BYB and you got taken for a ride.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

To add to the above... If the breeder "took care of their puppies," they wouldn't have passed this puppy to you with this issue. Unless this breeder never touches their cash cr...err, puppies...there's no way in hell they're going to mistake that for "oh she's just a little bloated because she just got fed." NO way in hell (and if they can't decipher the difference or don't handle their puppies, they have no business breeding). A good breeder would never have sold a puppy like that without having it taken care of first, period, much less lie to the owner about it.

15. Idk man, Ive seen the pictures online and most of the Bullies that $#@! down have bellies touching the floor. He has papers for her and will send them to me tomarrow, and he doesn't really know alot about dogs, since his older brother is the one actually taking care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbullboy2011 View Post
    Idk man, Ive seen the pictures online and most of the Bullies that $#@! down have bellies touching the floor. He has papers for her and will send them to me tomarrow, and he doesn't really know alot about dogs, since his older brother is the one actually taking care of them.
    Yeah, because their overweight. AmBullies at a healthy weight shouldn't have bellies that hang all the way to the floor.

You need to check out Pink's and celtickarma's Bullies! No belly draggers there! :)

And "papers" are only as good as the breeder is honest...

Hey Pink! Can we get a stacked pic of your boy please?

Images
    I vote vet as soon as possible; and second or third the comment that it does NOT look healthy or good.

Images
    All bully here. No belly hang at all......

I am with the others that think its time to visit the vet. ASAP. That is not right at all.

20. Quote Originally Posted by pitbullboy2011 View Post
    Idk man, Ive seen the pictures online and most of the Bullies that $#@! down have bellies touching the floor. He has papers for her and will send them to me tomarrow, and he doesn't really know alot about dogs, since his older brother is the one actually taking care of them.

Look at the part I circled. That is NOT normal, and it's almost certainly not fat either. That looks to me like either moderate edema (fluid under the skin that can be caused by any number of things), or an umbilical hernia (where a length of intestine comes through a weak section of the abdominal muscle). Most of the Bullies you've seen have bellies touching the floor because a good many of their breeders overfeed them to make them look "bullier" than they really are, and don't bother de-worming them appropriately because they're either ignorant and/or it would cut into their profits.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast