Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahlz View Post
    I have seen a few very responsible owners make a mistake here and there.
    Our definitions of responsible are clearly very different. So your opinion means very little.

At any rate, if you KNEW you wouldn't be getting your dog back after a second escape, one would think you would be a little more careful or at least license the dog so you would get an extra chance. The OP obviously didn't take the AC's threats seriously. I bet he does now.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Indskys View Post
    The first time they picked up my dog, a year ago, they told me what a great dog he was and said they didn't have any problems with him at all. But before they would release him to me, I had to sign a piece of paper that deemed him as vicious because he is one of the pit bull breeds - as determined by the 'breed test' they do on all dogs they pick up (which consist of a man looking at him and saying, yep, he's a pit).

Time out. You actually signed a paper the first time your dog got loose saying your dog was vicious?! WTF. Why would you do that? I know you said that they told you that you had to but I would have flat out refused. That does not sound right.

3. Maybe they wouldn't give her her dog back until she signed those papers?

It could also have been a paper saying that she was made aware of the ordinance that defines her dog as vicious and that she is aware that if her dog is unlicensed and picked up 2 x it will be confiscated. A lot of cities have a cover their $#@! procedure where they explain the law to a citizen and then ask that the citizen sign a paper saying they have been made aware of the law in case they have to go to court against that citizen later.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MJJean View Post
    It could also have been a paper saying that she was made aware of the ordinance that defines her dog as vicious and that she is aware that if her dog is unlicensed and picked up 2 x it will be confiscated. A lot of cities have a cover their $#@! procedure where they explain the law to a citizen and then ask that the citizen sign a paper saying they have been made aware of the law in case they have to go to court against that citizen later.
    Okay, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong but the story doesn't make sense to me. They should have made her pay for a license the first time the dog got loose. It's kind of silly that a 5 dollar license could have prevented her dog from being taken away.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyli View Post
    Okay, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong but the story doesn't make sense to me. They should have made her pay for a license the first time the dog got loose. It's kind of silly that a 5 dollar license could have prevented her dog from being taken away.
    I agree that it sounds like the owner signed a "vicious dog" form. It also is unfortunate that the owner allowed this to happen a 2nd time without paying for the license. There are so many things that could have changed the outcome of this story.

Images
    In Franklin County, Oh, if they pick up a dog that does not HAVE a license or HAVE vaccines, the person claiming ownership of the dog must pay for these, and the fine, or the dog is not released, and put up for adoption. If you have a license and vaccination record, but the TAGS were lost, the owner just pays a fine, if it wasn't vaccinated yet, while in custody. At some point in custody the dog is vaccinated, (Idk when they decide to do the vacc.). The owner must pay for these, even if the dog had them up to date, or you don't get the dog. Maybe she paid the fees/fines the first escape, and by the second, the license expired?? idk the law there...
    Forward Thinking would've prevented this!! I hope the dog is in very good care.

Images
    *the reason why I wrote the above.....bc why would you go thru all of that once, and chance it again, knowing you wouldn't get him back? I do not understand, and feel like there is still more to the story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12