Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Mischief Mama View Post
    Yes I have tried that. I introduced it to her per the instructions when you buy it. But when I went to actually use it for the first time, she freaked and ripped it off in the first couple minutes. Thank goodness I was able to get my money back!
    Ouch! Thank goodness indeed. Well let's get to the root of the issue. What exactly does she freak over? When does she start freaking? What exactly does she do during the freak outs?

@Unoriginal: Whoops, didn't see that. After I shove these allergy drops in them I can't see right for like half an hour XD

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithCurs View Post
    Ouch! Thank goodness indeed. Well let's get to the root of the issue. What exactly does she freak over? When does she start freaking? What exactly does she do during the freak outs?

@Unoriginal: Whoops, didn't see that. After I shove these allergy drops in them I can't see right for like half an hour XD
    No worries.. I've read posts where I miss entire paragraphs

It sounds like the dog has just straight separation anxiety.. Which, IMO, can be worked through without drugs.

3. Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithCurs View Post

For the record I wouldn't have yelled about anything, I haven't even been using ! like others have :) Some are just taking my frustration with other issues out of context.

She doesn't like it when I leave. She has always been one to sit at the door waiting for me to return, whether someone is home or not. I think she has gotten better about it when my husband is home, she might not do it when he is. Also in the car. I am very fast at things I do, running in and out, but she has chewed up 3 seat belts if it has gone longer than she prefers. The main pattern I would say I notice is that she is alone and it's for an extended period of time, maybe 2-3 hours (not in the car that long though! lol).

So she has chewed the seat belts, she tries to shove her face and body through her crate, so I don't like putting her in it and won't unless I COMPLETELY zip-tie it for safety. But I don't leave her crated anymore so that's neither here nor there. In the house she just goes for the blinds, it literally looks like she is frantically pulling and tearing at the blinds to try to look out the windows. Plants in windows have also been ruined from this.

I don't leave very often, and when I do it's usually not for very long but on the off chance I run more errands than planned, or plan to be gone that long but don't pull up the blinds...well, I might come home to some ruined window treatments :\

The main reason for my question is because I feel bad for her. I have really bad anxiety and tricks and training only go so far, so I just feel for her and was wondering about it.

When she's freaking out for any reason and you are there, do you pet her or hold her to try to calm her down? And you'd be surprised. Some good consistent training goes really really far with anxious dogs. My Shepwieler used to absolutely wreck the house his first month or so there. Steady training got him out of it

5. Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithCurs View Post
    When she's freaking out for any reason and you are there, do you pet her or hold her to try to calm her down? And you'd be surprised. Some good consistent training goes really really far with anxious dogs. My Shepwieler used to absolutely wreck the house his first month or so there. Steady training got him out of it
    This doesn't happen when I am home. The only reason I have even seen what she does is because I have recorded her while I was gone once or twice.

People mention training here...what kind of methods are used because by now she should know I am coming back, I always do. I did a little of the 'leave for 5 mins, leave for 10 mins, leave for 15 mins' stuff about a year ago. I also heard not to make a big deal about your return, which I stopped doing unless she was a good girl, then I give her lots of 'good girl' pets. I truly think she knows that I am looking for proof of bad behavior when I get home, so I praise her if that doesn't happen.

Most of the time, she is good. Most of the time. There are still those bad days sometimes, but if I leave her un-crated she seems to be OK unless, like I said, I am gone for a longer period than usual. So, basically, what would I do to teach her not to be afraid, and to stay away from the windows...

-OH and also, in terms of her freaking out when I am there...literally, she doesn't. I have gotten her temperature taken, her vaccines done, vet visits, and she was exceptionally well-behaved. She was even a wonderful girl when we had to take her to the hospital to induce vomiting because some idiot left rat poison out by my townhouse. But then again, I am always with her. She has only recently decided she didn't want to leave my side to get her anal glands done, which I found weird because for a year now she has been fine about it.
    Last edited by Mimi's Mischief Mama; 04-15-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Well first off I made sure my dog had things to play with that I know he liked to play with. Kongs with peanut butter and bones were his favorites, but whatever works for your dog works. I didn't make a big deal about leaving, just got my stuff, put him where he was supposed to go with his stuff and left, starting with small increments at first then increasing them. He also didn't get full run of the house and IMO neither should any dog that does damage. He was typically closed off in his comfy space

7. Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithCurs View Post
    Well first off I made sure my dog had things to play with that I know he liked to play with. Kongs with peanut butter and bones were his favorites, but whatever works for your dog works. I didn't make a big deal about leaving, just got my stuff, put him where he was supposed to go with his stuff and left, starting with small increments at first then increasing them. He also didn't get full run of the house and IMO neither should any dog that does damage. He was typically closed off in his comfy space
    I tried the toy and PB thing, she has access to all her toys, I don't make a big stink about leaving, started with the increments, etc. She only has full run of the house because we are in a town house. There is no where to close her off unless it's in my room, or in her crate. Both of those would end horribly. I'd rather her destroy blinds than my entire room, and I know she'd be 10x more scared if I locked her in my room for 2 hours.

Images
    Oh sorry, I didn't know that's why she was taking benadryl for allergies. Sorry. :o

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Mischief Mama View Post
    I tried the toy and PB thing, she has access to all her toys, I don't make a big stink about leaving, started with the increments, etc. She only has full run of the house because we are in a town house. There is no where to close her off unless it's in my room, or in her crate. Both of those would end horribly. I'd rather her destroy blinds than my entire room, and I know she'd be 10x more scared if I locked her in my room for 2 hours.
    Why not try a plastic crate instead of a wore crate? I would be worried of her getting a blockage from chewing things personally

I didn't read all of the posts, but I know a few dogs that have been prescribed Valium or Xanax for anxiety. My parents Lab & brothers Lab have been taking it (Valium) as needed for years with no ill effects. You need to go get the dosage from a vet though, so you don't overdose your dog.

Images
    I have a dog that takes Xanax for storm phobia. And Xanax as Valuim are in the same drug family. So yes Valuim is safe for dogs. HOWEVER talk to your vet about proper doses.

vet prescribes valium for mei when there's fireworks. 1/2 10mg tablet works wonders, chilling her out without being drugged, like acepromazine does. I've given her 1/4 before introducing her to new places, such as grocery stores, malls, etc., and she has acclimated and is fine with them now w/out valium, even venturing into the refrigerated sections, which freak her out.

be aware that valium (and Xanax, which is faster acting, stronger, and shorter duration) are benzodiazepines, and can be physically addictive if used regularly. stopping suddenly can cause withdrawal in the form of anxiety and possibly seizures. these are best used for spot treatments, not maintenance, although some docs will prescribe them for regular use.

even antidepressants like Prozac can help dogs with anxiety, but need to be used under vet's care.

famous vet dr Michael fox has a great website with some info on anxiety. http://drfoxvet.com/info/index.aspx while he recommends natural/less medical/less invasive solutions first, such as lavender oil or a thundershirt, he approves of all of the these methods when used properly.

but ideally, training and desensitization will do a lot for anxiety, with the above used as needed.

Images
    For what it's worth (and I haven't read all the posts) when I first got Bullet he suffered from separation anxiety when I went to work. The vet suggested a special "calming collar" that supposedly gives off pheremones that help calm them. I tried it for a couple of months, and it DID seem to work. It probably wouldn't be effective in extreme cases though...

Has anyone ever heard of exercising your dog and building their confidence? What is it with people trying to find a quick fix without doing any work? A dog is an animal, it has needs, if they are fulfilled the dog will be fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12