Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Discouraged...

No one can predict whether your dog/cat will get along. Just b/c the dog is a pit bull doesn't mean it will kill a cat. Some pit bulls live with cats, I knew one guy that to go adopt another cat after his cat died of old age b/c his pit bull was so depressed. This same dog would kill another dog, but he loved cats. Each dog is an individual. But just b/c he doesn't kill the cat today, doesn't mean something can't happen next year. You just have to be prepared. Crate the dog or separate them when you can't supervise them.

I just watched my Mother's cat for about 5 weeks. I had 8 dogs in the house, 1/2 of them were fine with the cat, the 1/2 wanted to eat the cat. So those went outside while the cat was out, the cat went into a bedroom when those dogs were in. It was a bit of work, but not that hard. Some of these were very high prey drive dogs, but they understood the cat was off limits (at least while I was home) and the cat went away when I wasn't b/c that is as far as I trusted them.

Casper is a Dogo Argentino and many people will tell you, you can't have a Dogo w/ cats. Yet, Casper is fine with cats. And I've seen many other Dogos (even hunting dogs) that loved cats. I've even heard a story from a Dogo owner where their tripod Cat that was raised with the Dogo got in the yard with the cur dogs and they were going to kill it, but it was able to run fast enough to get behind the Dogo and he stopped the cur dogs from getting to the cat. But then I had a foster Dogo that picked up for killing cats. He acted all nice and friendly until the cat was in his reach and bam- it was dead.

Having multiple pets is a risk. A rewarding one if you use commonsense and get to know your pets.

2. Quote Originally Posted by PSimons View Post
    I only became worried after reading everyone's extreme input. I was not discouraged by my situation until I came to this forum.
    Stay off the internet then! What you're doing is the equivalent of googling everything that could possibly be wrong when your doctor decides to order an extra test on something. Your mind runs wild and you're convinced you have Lyme disease or leukemia or a rare genetic condition when it was actually nothing at all.

You've done enough research. Stop reading things that freak you out and give it a shot.

3. Quote Originally Posted by mcrose View Post
    stay off the internet then! What you're doing is the equivalent of googling everything that could possibly be wrong when your doctor decides to order an extra test on something. Your mind runs wild and you're convinced you have lyme disease or leukemia or a rare genetic condition when it was actually nothing at all.

You've done enough research. Stop reading things that freak you out and give it a shot.
    ^^^ exactly!

I say dont wait show him the cat my pit is great with my 10yr old cat I was alittle scared at first because she was so old but she really just stays away from him until its time for bed then ill look and they're alway lay together but thats my dog and my cat but here at my house Im the boss if i raise my voice everyone stops to see who getting in trouble hope it works out for you I love my two...But be the BOSS is all the advise I can give

Images
    i didnt read all the posts but i am a soon to be new apbt owner. i dont have any advice but i dont think that its "negitive" input. there is just a lot of stupid people who like to own dogs and not be responsible. these dogs already have an extremly bad rep so they are just trying to get people to realize the risks and for people to be responsible because if something were to happen the pitbull seems to always take the blame. i am glad they give there "extreme" input made me realize what it take to own and raise a apbt responsibly.

6. Quote Originally Posted by rubythepit View Post
    Please don't blame others for what are your mistakes. To adopt a dog just to slightly relieve a social stigma isn't a good reason at all. You are even too timid to allow and watch her interaction with your cat... what are you going to do if she ends up with DA or having to crate and rotate her entire life. Unfortunately you do not seem particularly devoted.... don't know how to help you as you seem to have already made up your mind.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Why do you give a flying $#@! what we think?? Talk to professionals. We can only speak from experience... some people on here have had negative experiences with dogs+cats, some haven't. You have to WAIT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF!
    Maybe it's just me, but something "stinks" about this thread. It just seems to go back in circles. How come the OP isn't trying some of the advice offered and reporting back?

7. I think she has probably decided to take the dog back to the wherever she got it from (rescue i think). Pretty unfortunate... Or she was offended by blunt opinions. Either way I hope the puppy ends up happy.

8. Quote Originally Posted by rubythepit View Post
    I think she has probably decided to take the dog back to the wherever she got it from (rescue i think). Pretty unfortunate... Or she was offended by blunt opinions. Either way I hope the puppy ends up happy.
    I hope that the puppy is happy too and winds up in a good home.

9. aww that's a shame if she gave up without giving the dog a chance. I alllmost returned Amy after I took her on a trial period, and it was because I started to realize she was a pit mix (I really didn't know much about dogs). After several people told me she was one I was like "OMG she's going to kill me and my cats and then desecrate our graves!" but after a couple days I pulled my head out of my $#@! and regarded her as the individual dog she is, not the worst-case-scenario.

10. Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachTennis View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but something "stinks" about this thread. It just seems to go back in circles. How come the OP isn't trying some of the advice offered and reporting back?
    Because we were all very "negative" to her

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McRose View Post
    After several people told me she was one I was like "OMG she's going to kill me and my cats and then desecrate our graves!" but after a couple days I pulled my head out of my $#@! and regarded her as the individual dog she is, not the worst-case-scenario.
    thanks for that. :)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345