1. Newly aggressive

Hi...I have a three year old pitbull mix who has begun charging and growling at family members...including me. These attacks come out of nowhere. She hasn't bitten anyone yet. I have no idea what to do. She has no health issues.

Call a professional behaviorist for help.

First, take her to the vet for an exam to rule out any health or physical issues, especially if this just started out of nowhere. If all checks out fine and you still want to try and keep the dog ... the best thing to do would be to have a Behaviorist evaluate the dog and go from there.

edit: sorry, didn't see BnP's post LOL

Images
    x2 on the first two posts..

Your use of the word "yet" in "she hasn't bitten anyone yet" worries me. Keep her strictly contained until you find out if there's something medically wrong with her and are able to speak with a professional.

Although, IMO, if she's rules medically sound, you might have to consider putting her down. Human aggression in this breed is not accepted whatsoever.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. :(

Images
    Plant her.

How long have you had her? Sudden behavior changes could be anything from a unstable temperament/insane to a health problem(brain tumor, illness, cancer etc...)
    WE CAN NOT SEE YOUR DOG, so we can't tell you what to do beside tell you to go to a professional or put the dog down.

Because you used the words "these attacks come out of nowhere" I am going to $#@!ume it has happened more than once. Since they involved you and members of your family I have one critical question, "What the $#@! are you waiting for?" put this dog to sleep, no ifs ands or butts.

For those who might suggest a brain tumor or some medical reason for this, I repeat put the dog to sleep. Too many good, stable and healthy dogs need a home, this one is a serious accident waiting to happen.

I'll just say this....
    People here will jump the gun and say kill the dog because it's the easy way out and takes no effort in trying to help a problem.
    It's like one day your car won't start.... well $#@! figuring out the issue, just junk it and buy a new one... there's plenty of cars that run.
    And don't start any $#@! 'you can't compare a dog to a vehicle because a vehicle isn't a dog' ... ya no $#@! they aren't the same, and I can compare whatever the hell I want. You all know that saying to just kill the dog and not even try to figure $#@! out is the easy way out.... it's lazy and effortless.
    Obviously this person is willing to put the effort in or they wouldn't have asked.

To the OP- Keep the dog crated, kenneled, leashed, muzzled until you can figure out the problem... whatever it takes to keep your family safe until you're able to have your dog vet checked and professionally evaluated. Also see if more exercise will help.... if there's a lack of exercise, maybe your dog is releasing pent up energy in the most negative of ways.
    If the problem can't be worked on then have the dog euthanized.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze N' Pits View Post
    I'll just say this....
    People here will jump the gun and say kill the dog because it's the easy way out and takes no effort in trying to help a problem.
    It's like one day your car won't start.... well $#@! figuring out the issue, just junk it and buy a new one... there's plenty of cars that run.
    And don't start any $#@! 'you can't compare a dog to a vehicle because a vehicle isn't a dog' ... ya no $#@! they aren't the same, and I can compare whatever the hell I want. You all know that saying to just kill the dog and not even try to figure $#@! out is the easy way out.... it's lazy and effortless.
    Obviously this person is willing to put the effort in or they wouldn't have asked.

To the OP- Keep the dog crated, kenneled, leashed, muzzled until you can figure out the problem... whatever it takes to keep your family safe until you're able to have your dog vet checked and professionally evaluated. Also see if more exercise will help.... if there's a lack of exercise, maybe your dog is releasing pent up energy in the most negative of ways.
    If the problem can't be worked on then have the dog euthanized.

I agree. why are people saying just put it down??? wtf? Get the dog checked up first to see if something is going on. if the problem CANT be fixed (if its a mental problem that cant be treated) THEN youll have to put it down but try seeing a professional first!!

This is a $#@!e because the dog is going after you and your family, that would put me in a situation to put my dog down IF the problem couldn't be fixed.

I'm the sort of person who will try and find out WHY she/he might be doing this. I'd get a full vet check, I'd work with some one and if all that failed and the dog kept trying to attack me/the family, I'd lay the dog to rest.

I have a fearful dog now who will bite and has, I do worry she could bite a family member, I just pray she doesn't do it, especially since she has gone to nip me before (my fault). If they did something wrong that set her off, that's their fault because they know not to do certain things around her so I'd let her live. She thankfully is fine around most of my family but isn't %100 great with the ones who don't live here.

I wish you luck, this would have to be hard. Any update yet?
    Last edited by Tahlz; 04-16-2012 at 03:07 PM.

11. Quote Originally Posted by MsAcer View Post
    How long have you had her? Sudden behavior changes could be anything from a unstable temperament/insane to a health problem(brain tumor, illness, cancer etc...)
    WE CAN NOT SEE YOUR DOG, so we can't tell you what to do beside tell you to go to a professional or put the dog down.
    I agree except one point. If the first scenario is the dog is unstable and insane, which to me equals put the dog to sleep for the safety of the dog and everyone exposed to it. Second possibility, brain tumor, cancer etc equals put the dog to sleep to prevent it from suffering, costing a large amount of money and opens you up for the possibility of a trust worthy and healthy pet.

Oh I agree with you...
    Just giving reasons why a dogs personality might change suddenly. If the dog was a long time normal family pet, then changed behavior and if it were MY dog I would want to know why... Then put it down.

It makes me cringe when people seek help on forum to dangerous scenarios. It's even worse when they give no back ground or videos or real info of any kind. It's frustrating. And rather sad.