1. It's going to be a looooong summer

It's 85 degrees here in the Washington, DC suburbs and I just took Amy on a 1.5 mile walk. She was panting like crazy and giving me pitiful looks like she was dying. Stopped to roll around in some shaded gr$#@! and was walking pretty slow. Got home and gulped some water and is now sprawled out panting like she just ran a freaking marathon. She has no idea what awaits in a couple months. Oy.

I feel bad for you. I wonder how hot 85 degrees is in our temperature, I really need to find out. I'm so glad our Summer is over and it's nice and cold now though our Summer wasn't that bad this year.

Quote Originally Posted by McRose View Post
    It's 85 degrees here in the Washington, DC suburbs and I just took Amy on a 1.5 mile walk. She was panting like crazy and giving me pitiful looks like she was dying. Stopped to roll around in some shaded gr$#@! and was walking pretty slow. Got home and gulped some water and is now sprawled out panting like she just ran a freaking marathon. She has no idea what awaits in a couple months. Oy.
    Does it get humid in DC? It usually gets up to about 110 in the summer here, but it's very dry. I don't feel like it's as bad as humidity, I'm from Vermont and the humidity there is just awful, I can't stand muggy air!

4. Oh god does it get humid. You have no idea. DC was built on a swamp, and it feels every bit of it in the summer.

I'm going to trying to build up the little princess's heat tolerance. I need my walking buddy!

Images
    Well you could have snow....we do. Gotta love Alberta in the spring ;)

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

According to this converter, 85 F is about 29 C.

Being in MI, the Great lakes State, we get really humid and are also built on a lot of swamp land. I feel you on the heat and humidity in the summer. 85 is a bit hot, but when we get to the 90's and 100's plus the heat index (which is when they factor in humidity to tell you how hot it feels to the human body), I won't leave the basement unless I absolutely have to until after dark.

Mason and I go for long walks everyday. I've already started scoping out places along the way for water. I've found 3 really good ones so far and one even has a stainless steel tub filled with fresh water. For the other two, I need to buy a collapsible bowl/cup to carry in my back pocket. ... it WILL get DANG hot here in Lower Alabama ... and I don't want it to slow us down.

Our city park used to have these cool cast iron bowls that attached to the human drinking fountains on the trails. Last year half of them were out of service :( I didn't let my dogs drink from them because who knows what diseases could be in there, but it was a great place to fill up the collapsible dish I keep in my fanny pack.

Yes, I have a fanny pack. It's embarrassing to admit, but its great for holding a spare leash and collar, poop bags, treats, and the bowl.

Images
    When I go on long walks, I take a bag with me with some bottles of water and a collapsible water bowl and give water mid-way through the walk.. We do this when I let him run in open fields (with a lead on) or hike around the forest preserves.

10. It's 70 right now here by Minneapolis, tonight it is supposed to be 38. Up until today the forecast had been for a chance of snow and rain tonight, they just changed it today to rain only. I don't know about a long summer, but I suspect it will be a different summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahlz View Post
    I feel bad for you. I wonder how hot 85 degrees is in our temperature, I really need to find out. I'm so glad our Summer is over and it's nice and cold now though our Summer wasn't that bad this year.
    I think it's around 30 degrees Celsius

12. Also just to throw out there, I believe I saw cooling vests for dogs at my pet store. I could be wrong though lol

Baloo is being a big baby about the heat. It only got up to mid-high 80s today and I was wearing jeans and totally comfortable and he was acting like he was gonna die. He made a bee-line back to the apartment when we were coming back from our walk and just laid spread-eagle on the cool floor for a long time.

This is his second summer. This shouldn't be news to him. But he's gonna be miserable in another few weeks. Mississippi is just AWESOME in the summer. ha. ha. ha. not.

Quote Originally Posted by My pit is Sasha View Post
    It's 70 right now here by Minneapolis, tonight it is supposed to be 38. Up until today the forecast had been for a chance of snow and rain tonight, they just changed it today to rain only. I don't know about a long summer, but I suspect it will be a different summer.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm both curious and nervous about it. Last summer was HORRID. If it gets as bad as it was last year, I'm going to have no choice but to shave Ethel.

I carry one of these on longer walks. http://www.amazon.com/Handi-Drink-Do.../dp/B000GDXHQ0

I found mine at Marshalls for $3, couldn't p$#@! that up.

I feel your pain, I am in southern IL (where the Wabash river meets the White River, its a mile from my house lol) and it gets H.O.T. here and on top of there we get 90-100% humidity all year round, gotta love living in a river valley lol anyhow we have had bad days but man today was in the high 70s and tomorrow is the high 60s, last year we didn't get any 70s it went from like 40s to 90s in a day and didn't turn around till November lol I am happy for this spring weather we are having, but I know a hot humid summer is not far away

17. So I had mentioned that up until yesterday the weather guessers were saying a chance of rain/snow for today here in the Minneapolis area and then had changed it yesterday to just rain. Well sometime last night they changed the forecast for today back to a chance of rain/snow and it's snowing. It's very light and not staying on the ground but it's definitely snow.