1. How long does a dog stay in heat....

How long does the bleeding last is there anything I can do for her , give her, is she in pain.... This is my first dog so I'm a little uninformed....

How old is she?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy50s View Post
    is there anything I can do for her

Keep her well out of reach of any males!!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy50s View Post
    How long does the bleeding last is there anything I can do for her , give her, is she in pain.... This is my first dog so I'm a little uninformed....

She's not in any pain, although some bitches may act clingy or many want to wander. One thing they DO do is pee a lot more -- (pee a little in many places!).
    Mark on a calendar the first day you noticed bleeding. This bleeding will gradually change color-- brownish to pinkish to more straw-colored, but she will have that discharge for about 21 days. The first week, she will not be that attractive to males, days 9-18, she will be VERY attractive to males (these are her "fertile" days) and then they spend another 7 days "going out" of heat. A good rule of thumb is consider her "in heat" for 30 days before it's all over.

The bleeding IS a pain if she is a house dog. You can buy special-made panties for bitches in season at the pet stores. They are cute and do a good job of keeping your house clean.

Carla
    Last edited by Sagebrush; 03-09-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy50s View Post
    is there anything I can do for her
    Keep out of her way for a week or so, help out a little more around the house and don't make any comments about her weight.

Quote Originally Posted by catchrcall View Post
    Keep out of her way for a week or so, help out a little more around the house and don't make any comments about her weight.

Spoken like a married man!

^^

Images
    Ahahahaha

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Ok now how often. just to help the conversation along.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorMac View Post
    Ok now how often. just to help the conversation along.

How often what? Does a bitch come into season?

The general theory, I believe, is 6 months. I have a bitch who comes in every 4. I know a bitch who comes in every like.. 13.

We use regular diapers for our bitch, and just cut a hole for the tail. When she's in her crate it gets taken off because she'll tear it off. But yea, cheaper than 'pet diapers'. Oh, and your dog will act like a $#@!. Just gonna let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    Oh, and your dog will act like a $#@!. Just gonna let you know.

I was amazed at the behaviour I saw from some bitches! My bitch doesn't ever acknowledge she's in season, except sometimes being a little grumpier. But good lordy, some bitches are FAR worse than even the most determined of males!!

It varies from dog to dog. Ballpark it at about six months give or take a couple. I used to have a gyp that I swore came in about once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post

I was amazed at the behaviour I saw from some bitches! My bitch doesn't ever acknowledge she's in season, except sometimes being a little grumpier. But good lordy, some bitches are FAR worse than even the most determined of males!!
    Mia will flag anything that moves, or doesn't move. She followed Liberty around yesterday flagging her, Liberty couldn't escape her . She flagged the stove her last heat cycle.

LMAO .. that's a good one!!!

7 7 7
    7 days start, 7 days in and 7 days out.....give or take a couple of days.

And frequintcy, depends on the dog.