Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern US
    Posts
    4,585

    How much Chocolate is enough to hurt a dog?

    Just curious as to how much chocolate is enough to hurt a dog.


    Kiddo gave the dog a cookie and a half of those little mini Famous Amos Chocolate Chip cookies. They were swallowed before i could get them out of her mouth.

    I don't think it was enough to hurt her, but I hate the idea of a dog ingesting any amount of chocolate. (However I know a dog that used to eat chocolate on a regular basis and it never seemed to phase the dog....though still not a good idea)

  2. Usually it's dark chocolate that does the damage, regular milk chocolate in large doses can be unhealthy, but when Raj was a puppy he ate 3 of my dutch cocoa cookies and survived lol

  3. #3
    depends on the dog and the type of chocolate, like destin said dark can be more dangerous.
    My mom's mini schnauzer ate an entire lg box of See's candies. Vomited for 2 days but survived.
    I think I would have puked for 2 days though as well. lol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern US
    Posts
    4,585
    I found this chart on here and according to this I don't think it would have been enough to hurt her. (Maybe enough to cause some vomiting but I don't think it would have even been that much)

    The Chocolate Chart Interactive - National Geographic Magazine

    I'm a worry wort.


    I thought it was milk chocolate but turns out it was semi sweet. I hope it doesn't make her sick. (I put the weight in at about 35lbs))

    ---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

    Just called the vets office just to be safe. No answer so I left a message.

    ---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

    Okay they said that size of a cookie won't hurt her and she shouldn't have any problems other than maybe a little diahrrea

  5. #5
    A LOT- esp dark . I chuck Ruby random cookies all the time and let her eat choc chips that I drop....

  6. #6
    I wouldn't worry about that amount. We had a 12lb Min Pin eat a 1lb milk chocolate Santa Claus. He got on the couch, onto the fire logs, climbed onto the mantel and stole it from a Christmas stocking. He was fine! :) Not so much as a upset stomach. But this same dog tried to eat an entire 5lb bag of flour. So he did have a cast iron stomach!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Murder Mitten
    Posts
    6,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany3483 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that amount. We had a 12lb Min Pin eat a 1lb milk chocolate Santa Claus. He got on the couch, onto the fire logs, climbed onto the mantel and stole it from a Christmas stocking. He was fine! :) Not so much as a upset stomach. But this same dog tried to eat an entire 5lb bag of flour. So he did have a cast iron stomach!
    I lolled.

    But yeah, it takes a lot of chocolate to kill a dog, unless they're allergic to it I believe. My Brussels ate 3/4 of a chocolate banana muffin the little $#@! stole off my dresser, and he's still alive now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In Peanut's world
    Posts
    6,673
    Images
    12
    when i was a kid we had a dalmatian that ate an entire 2 lb bag of m&ms (it wasn't open til she got it) she puked for a few hours but was fine. we never even took her to the vet for it. she spent some time out side so she could throw up and then easy clean up.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Fox Cities, WI
    Posts
    1,494
    I've never seen a dig have a bad reaction from chocolate, granted i've never had one eat dark chocolate.
    My dad used to buy his lab chocolate dilly bars from DQ once in awhile and our current lab ate an entire Fun Size package of Reeses and was fine. She's done it more than once lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,244
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany3483 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that amount. We had a 12lb Min Pin eat a 1lb milk chocolate Santa Claus. He got on the couch, onto the fire logs, climbed onto the mantel and stole it from a Christmas stocking. He was fine! :) Not so much as a upset stomach. But this same dog tried to eat an entire 5lb bag of flour. So he did have a cast iron stomach!
    Haha....too funny. I have three Minpins and that sounds typical...they are crafty little buggers.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    3,991
    Images
    12
    My sister's "chocolate" lab ate a 2 lb. box of See's candy and she didn't have a bad reaction.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,702
    Images
    4
    I give my dogs chocolate plenty. Life's short, everyone deserves a treat, lol. No harm so far. They can eat more chocolate than I can... I'm allergic :)

  13. #13
    So my nephew gave half of his hershey's bar to my puppy.. just made him hyper. I didnt know until i seen half of his bar gone, and my pup eating it. But he was okay! From information on this post, i need to make sure i dont get dark chocolate.. never liked dark chocolate anyways.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Camano Island
    Posts
    3,034
    My old dog once ate about 1/2 a batch of chocolate chip cookies. She also LOVED grapes and ate a lot of them.
    She lived to be 17 years old.

    I don't give my dogs chocolate or grapes, but if I happen to drop a few chocolate chip while baking, or a grape when I'm eating them, I'm not going to freak if a dog grabs them.

  15. now and again i have shared small amounts of my chocolate bar with my dogs, not often though and i never allow my dog(s) to have dark chocolate.
    my pup crippen has never had any though,

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Oil City, LA
    Posts
    3,138
    Images
    35
    My last Dachshund mix I gave a Hershey kiss and a little DR Pepper once every other month. She lived to be a whole healthy 8 years old (She ended up with heart worms and the medication they gave her to help strengthen her heart threw her into a heart attack and killed her D': )

    Anyways as said above, it usually has to take a LOT. My Aunts Malties both got into a bag bag of M&Ms and lived.

    Dark non sweet cooking chocolate is usually whats bad for dogs.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,484
    Images
    8
    I had a dog that ate half of a single layer chocolate cake. The vet said not to worry and I don't believe the dog even got sick.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In Peanut's world
    Posts
    6,673
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
    I had a dog that ate half of a single layer chocolate cake. The vet said not to worry and I don't believe the dog even got sick.
    i know this isn't chocolate related but reminds me of something Peanut did when he was 1 1/2. At Christmas time he got into the presents and found and unwrapped and ate an entire 2 lb rum cake. I had to go replace it because it was not Christmas yet and it was part of someones gift. He followed that up with eating a bag of those mini boxes of junior mints and CAN of tuna and ripped up a box of .45 ammunition..he didn't eat them just spread them out they were all accounted for. He went thru a bad boy time when he was younger tearing into things when he was left alone, he still has SA but he doesn't get access to things like that anymore. Its funny to me now because he was okay BUT i was so worried and so mad at the time.

Similar Threads

  1. Dark Chocolate!
    By sonyasaranee in forum Health & Nutritional Care
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
  2. We want to keep Chocolate
    By lavalbam in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 10:52 AM
  3. Age by Chocolate
    By Turner in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-25-2009, 08:34 PM
  4. I have a Chocolate RANT (My dog)
    By pitchik in forum General Dog Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 10:09 PM
  5. I'm Chocolate on Chocolate!
    By DivineOblivion19 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 01:54 AM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

my min pin ate chocolate

dog ate chocolate muffin

dog ate junior mints

how many chocolate chip cookies can a dog eat

what happens if a dog eats chocolate cookies

min pin ate chocolate

my dog ate 3 chocolate chip cookies

my dog ate 10 chocolate chip cookies

will one chocolate cookie hurt dog

my dog ate one chocolate chip

my dog ate a chocolate chip muffin

puppy ate chocolate muffin

will chocolate chip cookies kill a dog

can a chocolate cookie kill a dog

what happens if a dog eats cake

what happens if a dog eats one chocolate chip

my dog ate junior mints

pitbull ate chocolate

what happens if a dog eats chocolate chips

dogs and chocolate m & m

my dog just ate chocolatechip cookies is that bad

my dog just ate chocolate chip cookie

how much semi chocolate chips will make a 25 pound dog sickdog ate chocolate chip cookieswill one chocolate chip cookie hurt a dogdog ate chocolate muffinsdogs and junior mintsmy dog ate a junior mintwill one chocolate chip hurt my dogwill 7 chocolate chip. cookies harm a 70 pound dobermanwhat to do when a mini dashshend eats a layer of chocloates from a boxcan one chocolate chip cookie kill a dogi have my dpg chocolate chop coolies will it hirt hermy pitbull ate chocolatemy lab ate chocolate chip cookies

Bookmarks