Fight to Bring Pitbull Back Home Goes to Court

Fight to Bring Pitbull Back Home Goes to Court
    7:01 PM, Mar 5, 2012

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - The fight to bring a dog back home has been taken to court.

Pamela Selig and Randy Flowers say their three-year-old pitbull, Apollo, was taken by City of Columbia animal control officers after a neighbor complained about his barking.

"I came home from work one day with a note on my door from animal control," said Flowers. "They took my dog out of our fenced in backyard for being too aggressive to our next door neighbor."

They say he never got out of their fence, but officers took the dog from the backyard and he has been at the Columbia Animal Shelter since February 17. Pamela and Randy say he has never been aggressive and they will fight to get him back.

"It's just ridiculous that he's having to go through this," Selig said. "He's being punished because of the breed he is."
    Pamela Selig.

"He's never been aggressive toward anybody that comes to our house," Flowers said. "My feelings are that it's ridiculous that they're telling us they have to keep our dog. Keep him locked in a cage. He's never been locked in a cage."

During a court hearing Monday morning, they were told the city would have to keep Apollo until a decision is made. The couple is facing tickets, including an aggressive animal citation that, add up to almost $1,000.

Marli Drum with the City of Columbia Animal Shelter says they have no intention of keeping Apollo away from his family.

"Our intent is certainly to get Apollo back to his home," said Drum, "nothing's going to happen to him while he's here. There was never any intention to have anything happen to him, just to work with the owner, to try to get this resolved."

Drum also explained that Animal Control felt Apollo was not properly contained.

"The gate really wasn't secured that well," said Drum. "Is was being held up with a baby gate and a recycling bin and the fence isn't even 4 feet tall so a dog with his athletic abilities and his size, he can easily go over that fence."

Apollo's owners were not home at the time the dog taken. Drum said Animal Control is allowed to take an animal from private property if they feel it is a threat to the greater community.

Fight to Bring Pitbull Back Home Goes to Court | wltx.com

While this is F*cked up, this is also why you should contain your dog better then...
    ----->"The gate really wasn't secured that well," said Drum. "Is was being held up with a baby gate and a recycling bin and the fence isn't even 4 feet tall so a dog with his athletic abilities and his size, he can easily go over that fence."<----!!!
    That's dangerous for the dog! I have Chihuahua's that could get over a 4 foot fence!
    I wonder if they had been warned before?