1. Personality of different bloodlines?

This is a total newb question, but something that has always sparked my interest.
    I know a lot of people prefer certain bloodlines, but why? I am sure there are SOME people out there that prefer the look of one dog from a certain bloodline over another, but what about personality(Is that the right way to describe it?) Do certain bloodlines t end to have a higher drive than others?

I have no Idea. But I'm hoping others will chime in...
    Very interesting.

I have asked the same question, I got that some bloodlines do have different personality traits than others. Also drive and stuff depend from what I understand on the type of dog, like working, game bred, show that type of thing, that plays into what the drive and stuff will be more than the specific bloodline I think, although I have heard some bloodlines are wild as hell lol but most of those are game bred dogs so that kind of explains it..

I have also heard some lines tend to produce higher strung dogs. Eli dogs being one.

Yea thats what I heard too, I kind of like high strung animals, except horses lol they always make me think I am going to get bitten

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    I have also heard some lines tend to produce higher strung dogs. Eli dogs being one.
    Depending on the strain (or so I have heard)

Quote Originally Posted by destinoscelgo View Post
    This is a total newb question, but something that has always sparked my interest.
    I know a lot of people prefer certain bloodlines, but why? I am sure there are SOME people out there that prefer the look of one dog from a certain bloodline over another, but what about personality(Is that the right way to describe it?) Do certain bloodlines t end to have a higher drive than others?
    As to the "why" ... I prefer a certain bloodline for stability, health, temperament and documented historical integrity.
    "Do certain bloodlines tend to have a higher drive than others?" ... I would think so ... generally, they would be the ones that survived.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBingo View Post
    As to the "why" ... I prefer a certain bloodline for stability, health, temperament and documented historical integrity.
    "Do certain bloodlines tend to have a higher drive than others?" ... I would think so ... generally, they would be the ones that survived.
    Eh, I wouldn't really agree. Colby dogs aren't "worked" anymore and I attribute their survival to their historical significance- not their drive. But that's just my uneducated $#@!umption.

LOL, most dogs aren't "worked" anymore. It's more a matter of perspective and personal preference than accomplishment these days. I say I have a Colby ... someone else says they have ...

Boudreaux
    Carver
    Rascal
    Honeybunch
    Nigerino
    Six Bits
    Jee
    Chinaman
    Frisco (Chinaman)
    T-N-T
    Red Boy
    Jocko
    Tant
    Mayday
    Lonzo
    Zebo
    Bullyson (Hall)
    Mayfield (Tudor)
    Buck
    Whitsell
    Lightner
    Corvino
    Old Family
    Gambler's Virgil
    Patricks (Bolio/Tombstone)
    Alligator (Rufus)
    Peterson
    Hammonds
    Boyles
    Sorrells
    Banjo
    Two Eyes (Fat Bill)
    Greenwood
    Hollingsworth
    McCoy
    Sarona
    Wildside
    Homer (Mountain Man)
    Ironline (Norrod)
    Clemmons
    Snooty
    Cowboy
    Clouse
    Maverick
    Jeep

... and quess what ... they aren't "worked" anymore either and I attribute their survival to their historical significance, past accomplishments and name ... not NECESSARILY their drive. But that TOO is just my uneducated $#@!umption as well
    Last edited by JoeBingo; 02-19-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Images
    Saying that those bloodlines aren't worked anymore is false. Some of those bloodlines are still used around the world today, and even here in the USA by a few brave, stupid souls. I don't know of a single pure Colby dog still being used today or recently... I'd love to hear if there are because I'd be importing two pups, LOL.

11. Quote Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
    I don't know of a single pure Colby dog still being used today or recently... I'd love to hear if there are because I'd be importing two pups, LOL.
    ... and you won't hear about it ;) ... nor are most Colby owners in it for that. Even if I knew of examples you seek, I damn sure wouldn't brag/talk about it here. Besides, there is no way in hell cliffdog, that I would believe you are going to game test a dog you get no matter the bloodline ... and the majority of APBT owners haven't AND won't either.

Furthermore, even you have pointed out in other posts that overseas rules are different than what traditional matches were run under, here. Even if you did import a winning dog or dog from winning lines ... you still might never know if the dog is game or the sire and dam, game.

My point is that the integrity of those bloodlines as manifest by todays dogs are in GENERAL ... not what the originals were. Except in the context that they have been line-bred for decades and therefore by $#@!ociation, $#@!UMED to have SOME potential ... and Colby has done it the longest and with the most honest documentation.

All I really know is that I've only ever owned one Colby dog and will just have to wait and see what kind of drive this pup has. All dogs are individuals, but I can't argue with the integrity and potential that is there from the over 110 year old pure line-bred bloodline he's from.
    Last edited by JoeBingo; 02-19-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Images
    Hell no I wouldn't game test because I don't want to be some hairy guy's jail bitch, LOL! I only meant that some bloodlines have proven dogs up closer to the present day than others. You're chances at a true bulldog are higher off two proven parents than a dog with no working dogs in his pedigree til 20 gems back. All I'm saying is that many Frisco dogs are more closely related to proven ancestors and so are bound to have higher drive than a Colby dog with no titles in his ped for 15 gens or so, where it seems like the dogs are being bred basically because they are am inspiring piece of the breed's history.

13. Cliffdog, I'll let this stand and you can take from it what you will ... an e-mail exchange I had just last night with a friend of mine in Maryland. My friend was one of the first Super Moderators here on PBC back in 2007 and was a LONG time member of GD (and maybe a mod there) before that, but hasn't posted on here since early 2008. Maybe some will have an idea whom I'm talking about if you've been around a while. Anyway ...

She has 4 APBTs on her yard. Three are from game-bred bloodlines, "close-ups" like you're talking about cliffdog, and one is a Colby. This is what she had to say about the dog she got from straight off Lou Colby's yard in 2009 (copied from my e-mail, we were mostly talking about feeding), "Health-wise he's doing great. his structure is nice, his muscle tone is finally starting to define itself and his coat is perfect~nice and shiney. never dry. all in all i'm REAL happy with him. he's strong as an ox. undoubtedly THE strongest dog i've ever owned. his will and drive are great and he keeps at an exercise longer than the others will, so i work him the most and honestly spend the most time with him. (truth be told, he's my favorite!)"

14. I read in one of the threads I searched up that Watchdog dogs are slightly more wary of strangers, which is where they got their name...is that true?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Images
    Cliffdog, I'll let this stand and you can take from it what you will ... an e-mail exchange I had just last night with a friend of mine in Maryland. My friend was one of the first Super Moderators here on PBC back in 2007 and was a LONG time member of GD (and maybe a mod there) before that, but hasn't posted on here since early 2008. Maybe some will have an idea whom I'm talking about if you've been around a while. Anyway ...

She has 4 APBTs on her yard. Three are from game-bred bloodlines, "close-ups" like you're talking about cliffdog, and one is a Colby. This is what she had to say about the dog she got from straight off Lou Colby's yard in 2009 (copied from my e-mail, we were mostly talking about feeding), "Health-wise he's doing great. his structure is nice, his muscle tone is finally starting to define itself and his coat is perfect~nice and shiney. never dry. all in all i'm REAL happy with him. he's strong as an ox. undoubtedly THE strongest dog i've ever owned. his will and drive are great and he keeps at an exercise longer than the others will, so i work him the most and honestly spend the most time with him. (truth be told, he's my favorite!)"
    Well, that's great to hear! :) But if it were legal here to match dogs I'm just saying that I'd be inclined to put my money on a game-bred dog... MOST times, with the knowledge that even a great breeding will produce flukes and some dogs with no working dogs in 20 gens can produce an odd bulldog. As it stands I guess that's neither here nor there because it's all speculation here in the USA, at least to law-abiding citizens such as ourselves.

16. yep, very few dogs that you or I are likely to get our hands on have been matched here for MANY generations, regardless of bloodline. OH but there are plenty who will try and convince you otherwise

So it all boils down to personal preference, research, experience (yours, mine or others) and luck. After all that, I hope you can be happy with what you have. I know I am and that's ALL that matters.

There are a lot of Colby haters "out there" on the Interwebs and sometimes folks buy into their spiel and repeat it without any knowledge or experience or research of their own. Your oft repeated statement of 20 gens of Colby's not being tested for example. Do you know how far back 20 generations go ?? Check my dogs peds and go back 20 (count them sire to sire and dam to dam) on both sides and see where you stand ... ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [388137] :: BRED IN MEMORY OF LOU COLBY ... prolly on a dock in Boston in the late 1800 to early 1900's waiting for an Irish or English dog to get off the ship and it might look a great deal like that dog in my avatar.

... or folks buy into the game-bred hype that in reality and in these times MAY likely be little more than fluff and Interweb posturing and boasting.

Images
    So it all boils down to personal preference, research, experience (yours, mine or others) and luck. After all that, I hope you can be happy with what you have. I know I am and that's ALL that matters.
    AIN'T that the truth! In the end you are the one caring for your dog and anyone who wants to influence you on your choices regarding your yard had better be chipping in to your feed bill. ;)