Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Pitbull Speed compared to other breeds

How fast is the APBT compared to other breeds?

Images
    eh, Peanut is kind of fast IF he is after something he wants, he looked like a cheetah chasing a cat one day but if he is just running for the heck of it he is not that fast he was a terrible running partner though we have been working on that.

My dogs are pretty freaking fast, I must say. And they can maintain it too (not just short bursts). It's so funny when either of my friends bring their Rottie, or their Lab to play with mine.. my guys do circles around those dogs!

I'm hoping they have the radar gun at the UKC show this weekend.. they're doing fun runs for lure coursing and I want to know how fast Sako goes!

I think we calculated Lily at 25mph through calculating her time running the first 100yds at a lure trial.

According to wiki, most dogs run between 18-31mph, with greyhounds averaging 37mph.

So, a well-bred pit bull should be of average speed compared to all dogs.

Mine run next to the 4-wheeler frequently, when inspecting the edge of the property, riding dirt roads, ect., just for fun. The fastest that both could keep up next to the 4-wheeler was I think 27 mph, just last weekend actually. Now thinking about it, would be interesting to see how long they could keep that up. Longest I've let them go wide open like that was under 5 min, lol.

I have actually timed my husband's bossed lab at 30mph when she was 1yr old and I'm sure she could go faster. Some dogs are nuts!
    Not only is Leon faster than most dogs [although he needs work with stamina/length] but his actions in general are quicker lol. I think they are probably just as fast as most dogs and probably toggle on the faster side. But not only that they probably, when in shape against other dogs in shape, can last longer. Thing of a quarter horse vs. a thoroughbred. Both are FAST with the quarter horse is normally being slightly slower but lasting much longer but the TB slightly faster while lasting shorter.

A marathon runner vs. a sprinter.
    However, pitbulls get the best of both I think... max speed and stamina lol

Ripley is surprisingly fast for a short, stocky girl w/ a big badonkadonk!

A pic of them running, Riddick blew past them and the others followed!

We had one Greyhound that could hit speeds in the 50's. He was outrunning the car and we were going 50, he was leaving us in the dust. In a straight line, most can hit speeds in the high 40's, on a oval/round track, they average in the high 30's.

Never clocked any of the other dogs, but here is a site that talks about speed.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5386821_fa...-dogs-run.html

Since I road work all my dogs, I've also taken an interest in how fast they are! lol

Bukra sprints at 38 mph and can maintain 35 mph - So, he's even faster on a hare because he's pushing harder!

Jolene's top sprint with the truck is 24 mph - but she really only pushes it for the lure. I'd love to calculate how fast she's going then!

I've recently wanted to test Chevelle. She's fast as a whip and LOVES to run. Can APBTs do lure coursing? Is it normal? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My two year old Ziggy is clocked at 31mph with the street mph sensors. The way I did it was from the time he was a puppy, I've trained him the command "mouse" and when I say mouse with a high pitch he goes ape $#@! looking for one. So I got a longboard and a harness, yelled out mouse and he shot me down through the street at 31mph

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraClark View Post
    I've recently wanted to test Chevelle. She's fast as a whip and LOVES to run. Can APBTs do lure coursing? Is it normal? Lol

There are several groups that allow all breeds, and I've seen a few Pit Bull specific events. :) I plan on doing it with my girl

And I would love to see how fast they go, Alice is quite fast but she hasn't gotten an opportunity to go all out with a lot of room.

12. Bronson has run well over 35mph in treadmill contests. He doesn't have near the stride as some of the taller dogs either. The longer the stride, the faster they are.

That makes me interested to see how fast Leon could go if I get him in shape... incase you didn't notice he is all legs haha!

Chevelle is all front flippers...what with her long pasterns and stuff. /:

I have 4 breeds of dog under my roof... and Lucy runs circles around all of 3 them. When there's a critter involved, she's a black blur.:D

16. Quote Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
    My dogs are pretty freaking fast, I must say. And they can maintain it too (not just short bursts). It's so funny when either of my friends bring their Rottie, or their Lab to play with mine.. my guys do circles around those dogs!

I'm hoping they have the radar gun at the UKC show this weekend.. they're doing fun runs for lure coursing and I want to know how fast Sako goes!
    That would be cool, please post the results! I will say that my 20 week old female puppy is pretty damn FAST for being a baby. She can almost keep up with my male Malinois on a short straight run. My Malinois is pretty damn fast for a Malinois as well, she keeps up with him a lot better when she chases him and he runs these crazy tight circles and figure 8's. I can't wait until she's about 8 or 9 months old, I think that she will give him a run for his money. Just tonight this little girl just scaled the back of my couch like it's a wall. I was sitting on a chair in front of the computer and I called her up to me and she just ran and jumped up on me like it was nothing, it was so effortless that she freaked my wife out. :)

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

I know that I've had a few Malinois that can run that speed.

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arthree510 View Post
    My two year old Ziggy is clocked at 31mph with the street mph sensors. The way I did it was from the time he was a puppy, I've trained him the command "mouse" and when I say mouse with a high pitch he goes ape $#@! looking for one. So I got a longboard and a harness, yelled out mouse and he shot me down through the street at 31mph
    Wow, that sounds like fun!

I never calculated star but when he had thr zoombies he was very fast

Images
    Well... An APBT with a greyhound-like build and a lot of spirit will be much faster than a stocky dog with low drive. But a stocky dog with lots of drive to run might be faster than a more "whippety" dog with no desire to run. Depends on the mentality of the dog, to a degree, along with the dog's physique. Now no APBT is gonna run like Doc Richard but there are a lot of factors.
    :)

19. Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachTennis View Post
    That would be cool, please post the results! I will say that my 20 week old female puppy is pretty damn FAST for being a baby. She can almost keep up with my male Malinois on a short straight run. My Malinois is pretty damn fast for a Malinois as well, she keeps up with him a lot better when she chases him and he runs these crazy tight circles and figure 8's. I can't wait until she's about 8 or 9 months old, I think that she will give him a run for his money. Just tonight this little girl just scaled the back of my couch like it's a wall. I was sitting on a chair in front of the computer and I called her up to me and she just ran and jumped up on me like it was nothing, it was so effortless that she freaked my wife out. :)

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

I know that I've had a few Malinois that can run that speed.

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Wow, that sounds like fun!
    Yeah, this is an old thread, but my female is 1 year and 2 months old and she can fly! She can eat my Malinois on a sprint now, she's blown past a Standard Poodle, Labs (field ones), Pitbull types, etc. , all on the beach as well.

If she gets a bead on a Seagull and really starts her pursuit, all training for the recall is out of the damn window! E-collar, yelling, begging, etc. won't stop her, except the water. This morning (5am) we ran across a Fox on the Bike Path , it saw me and my dogs and bolted. My Malinois wanted it bad and was pulling the leash, but my little bulldog REALLY WANTED it. :)

I don't have any empirical evidence... But Garp is reallllllllly fast. In short bursts: like 7-10 seconds.

He can outrun my roommate's BC mix (and that dog is FAST), but then can't keep it up and falls behind.

---
    I just realized that this is going on in my avatar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast